Our goal is to share information and products that are truly helpful to renters.
If you click on a link or buy a product from one of the partners on our site, we get paid a little bit for making the introduction. This means we might feature certain partners sooner, more frequently, or more prominently in our articles, but we’ll always make sure you have a good set of options. This is how we are able to provide you with the content and features for free. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services — and our opinions and advice are our own based on research and input from renters like you. Here is a list of our partners.
Last updated May 3, 2020
Information You May Choose to Provide to Us
We may collect information, including personal data, directly from you if you choose to provide that information. For example, you may provide us with your name and contact information (such as an email address), date of birth, age, social security, financial and demographic information or other details of that nature, when you apply to Services, sign up for our newsletters, register for an account or participate in promotions or surveys on the Site.
You also may choose to provide personally identifiable information about yourself when you participate in forums or discussions on the Site. Please be aware that information you post in these forums may be viewed or captured by anyone who visits the Site, therefore you should avoid posting sensitive personal data that you would not want to be available to the public.
Information That Is Automatically Collected When You Visit Roost
When you access the Site, we and our third-party partners and vendors may automatically collect certain information about your visit using tools such as cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. The information collected automatically when you visit the Site may include your IP address, geolocation data, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Site, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the Site), dates and times you use the Site.
Cookies are small files that websites and other online services use to store information about users on the users’ own computers. When you use the Services, we may send one or more Cookies (which are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your computer or mobile device. We may use both Session Cookies and Persistent Cookies. A Session Cookie disappears after you close your browser. A Persistent Cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Services. Persistent Cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your Cookie settings. If you delete, or choose not to accept, Cookies from the Services, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Services to their fullest potential.
Third-Party Web Beacons and Third-party Buttons
We may implement third-party advertising or other content on the Site that may use clear GIFs or other forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write Cookies to your web browser in connection with your viewing of the third-party content on the Site. Additionally, we may implement third party buttons (such as Facebook “like” or “share” buttons) that may allow a third party to collect information about you through their browser Cookies, even when you do not interact with the button.
A number of different targeting and advertising programs may be used on this Site, including without limitation Google Analytics. We allow third parties, including nonaffiliated business partners, advertising networks, analytics providers, and other advertising service providers to collect information about your online activities on the Site and across your browsers and devices using cookies, web beacons, mobile advertising identifiers and other technologies. These third parties may use this information to display online advertisements across your browsers and devices, tailored to your interests and preferences. Information collected through web beacons, buttons, and similar technologies is collected directly by third parties, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties. The information collected by these third parties in this manner is subject to that third party’s own privacy policies. Some of these third parties are members of the Network Advertising Initiative and participate in the industry’s opt out, available at http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/ or at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/. Additionally, you may opt-out of the use of Google Analytics Cookies here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Due to differences between using websites and apps on mobile devices, you may need to take additional steps to opt out on both platforms. Many mobile devices allow you to opt out of interest-based advertising for mobile apps using the settings within the mobile app or your mobile device. For more information, please check your mobile settings. You also may uninstall our app using the standard uninstall process available on your mobile device or app marketplace. Please note that your opt-out choice will apply only to the browser and device you are using when you opt out.
Information from Other Services
How We May Use Information We Collect
We may use the information gathered on Roost for various purposes, including the purposes listed below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry. In addition, we use the information we collect from you and through the Site to:
- To provide you the Services you request and enable non-affiliated third parties to provide additional services to you.
- To operate, maintain and improve the Services and create new features and functionality.
- To understand and analyze usage trends and preferences of our users across different devices.
- For fraud detection and information security.
- We may use your e-mail address or other personal information (a) to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service, (b) to address intellectual property, right of privacy or defamation issues related to content you have posted on the Services, and/or (c) to send you promotional materials, offers, and/or messages related to the Services and the activities of third parties we work with. Generally, you can opt out of receiving promotional communications, through links provided in the messages, by updating your account preferences through the Services, or by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We may use Cookie Information and Automatically Collected Information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Services; (b) provide customized advertisements, content, and information across your devices; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of Services and third-party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
How We May Share Information
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to the information we collect through the Site to carry out work on our behalf. Those parties are subject to confidentiality obligations and are restricted from using personal data collected through the Site for purposes other than to provide the requested assistance. In addition, we may share information:
- When you request additional or personalized information regarding financial and insurance product offers from third party financial service aggregators we partner with.
- When you request to prequalify for a Service on our Site.
- When you report a complaint about a product or a third-party partner featured on our Site we may forward your complaint to that partner.
- When you request answers or advice through our Services, Roost may provide certain of your information to third party experts, advocates, and advisors
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, including to meet national security requirements;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- With respect to analytics and statistical information, to inform advertisers about the nature of our user base;
- In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including a reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation). In such an event, we will seek to provide you with commercially reasonable notice, e.g., via email and/or notice on our website, of any change in ownership, incompatible new uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information; and
- With your consent or at your discretion.
You may, of course, decline to share certain information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide you some of the features and functionality of the Services.
How You Can Update Membership Information, Cancel Your Membership, and Deactivate Your Account
Once you have registered for a Roost account, you may update or correct your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account settings page through the Site.
We do not delete information about you upon deactivation of your account. Although your deactivated status is reflected promptly in our user databases, we may retain the information you submit for a variety of purposes, including legal compliance, backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. Upon deactivation, you will no longer receive emails from Roost and links to third-party financial accounts, and Services will automatically terminate.
Unsubscribing from Emails
If you do not wish to receive email offers or newsletters from us, you can opt out of receiving email information from us (except for emails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, change of password, and other similar communications essential to your transactions through the Services) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of any marketing email from us. Although your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics.
How We Protect Personal Data
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal data you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. That said, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted online, and you assume some risk with regard to the security of information you provide through any website, including this Site.
Nevada Privacy Rights
Although we do not currently conduct sales of personal information, Nevada residents may submit a request directing us to not sell personal information we maintain about them if our practices change in the future. To exercise this right, email us at email@example.com with the subject line: “Nevada: Request to Opt-Out.”
California Privacy Rights
This section contains disclosures required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and applies only to “personal information” that is subject to that law. See here for details.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended solely for visitors located within the United States. The information we provide and the third-party products and services featured are tailored for the United States market only. You agree that if you choose to use the Services from outside the United States, you will be transferring your information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing.
In the Event of Merger or Sale
Roost reserves the right to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
How to Contact Us
If you have questions about this policy or about our privacy practices, you may contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a California resident inquiring about your California privacy rights, please include “California privacy rights request” in the subject line of your email.
California Privacy Notice
This California Consumer Act Privacy Notice (“CCPA Notice“) applies to “Consumers” as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA“). For the purpose of this CCPA Notice, personal information applies to “Personal Information” as defined by the CCPA (also referred to herein as “PI”).
We collect and share the following categories of PI from the corresponding sources and for the corresponding purposes set forth in the table below.
Personal Information We Collect, Disclose for a Business Purpose, and Sell
We collect the categories of personal information about California consumers identified in the chart below and use and disclose to third parties this information for business or commercial purposes.
|Categories of Personal Information||Categories of sources from which information is collected:||Business or commercial purposes for collection, use, and sharing:||Disclosed for business purposes to the following categories of third parties:|
|Personal and online identifiers such as first and last name, email address, or unique online identifiers||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Categories of information described in Section 1798.80(e) of the California Civil Code such as Social Security number, bank account number, or other financial information||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as age or gender)||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Commercial or transaction information such as financial products or services purchased or obtained from or through us||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information such as the websites you visit immediately before and after visiting our site and your interactions with our Services||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Geolocation information||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Professional or employment-related information||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Education information||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Inferences drawn from the above information about your predicted characteristics and preferences||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
Categories of Sources
We collect this personal information directly from you. We may also, at your direction, receive third-party services that provide a mechanism to share information you have provided to the third party through the use of an application program interface (API), such as Facebook Connect or the Twitter API. In addition, you may direct and enable us to collect personal information you maintain in financial accounts with other third-party financial institutions and similar companies. We may also collect personal information about you (for example, information regarding how you interact with our Site and Services) using automated tools as described elsewhere in this policy.
Why We Collect, Use, and Share California Information
Commercial purposes include, without limitation: marketing, advertising, authentication, identity resolution, fraud prevention, fulfillment services, and fulfilling the requests of our customers.
Business purposes, as identified in the CCPA, include: audits and related activities; legal compliance; detecting and protecting against security incidents, fraud, and illegal activity; debugging services and systems; administrative and support services such as processing orders and payments and analytics; internal research and operations; activities to maintain and improve our Services; and other one-time uses.
We disclose the categories of personal information designated above to the following categories of third parties: for business purposes: service providers, government entities, advertising networks, internet service providers, data analytics providers, operating system providers, and social networks.
Your Rights Regarding Personal Information
California residents have certain rights with respect to the personal information collected by businesses. If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights regarding your personal information, subject to certain exceptions and limitations:
- For certain categories of personal information, the right to request a list of what personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year and the names and addresses of those third parties.
- The right to know the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use and disclose about you, the categories of sources from which we collected your personal information, our purposes for collecting your personal information, the categories of your personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties with which we have shared personal information.
- The right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you or maintain about you.
- The right to opt out of our sale(s) of your personal information. Please be advised that we do not currently sell personal information. This opt-out, however, would apply to the extent we began to engage in sales of personal information governed by the CCPA.
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA.
To exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the following information and submit the required verifying information by email to email@example.com with the subject line: “CCPA Request”.
Verification Process and Required Information
For your specific pieces of information, as required by the CCPA, we will apply heightened verification standards, which may include a request to provide further information. Note, you will not be required to create an account with us to submit a request or have it fulfilled. We will require you to provide information that we have on record for identity verification purposes.
You may designate an authorized agent to make a CCPA request on your behalf by writing to us at the contact information provided above. To the extent we are unable to verify your identity when you make the designation request, we may request additional information from you. Note, if designating an entity to act on your behalf, the CCPA requires that such entity must be registered with the California Secretary of State.
Minors’ Right to Opt-In
We do not sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
© 2020 JoinRoost, LLC. All Rights Reserved