Our goal is to share information and products that are truly helpful to renters.
If you click on a link or buy a product from one of the partners on our site, we get paid a little bit for making the introduction. This means we might feature certain partners sooner, more frequently, or more prominently in our articles, but we’ll always make sure you have a good set of options. This is how we are able to provide you with the content and features for free. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services — and our opinions and advice are our own based on research and input from renters like you. Here is a list of our partners.
Senior Backend Engineer | Roost
We’re building Roost so that anyone who rents can live well now — and get ahead. We help renters make financial progress with guidance, security deposit protection and cash advances to cover unexpected expenses. We’re looking for a senior full stack developer to join our fully remote team.
As a part of our growing back-end team, you will collaborate with others throughout our organization and technology stack to build products that are revolutionizing the way renters manage their security deposits and pay rent. We work closely together, with a healthy and non-combative review process aimed at improving code as well as developing each other’s skills. In short, we strive to write solid, thoroughly tested, and reliable code.
Where you’ll make an impact
- Design and lead the development of high-performance, secure, scalable and delightful consumer-first experiences that improve the lives for millions of users.
- Build out the service architecture that interfaces the front-end stack to seamlessly talk to our identity services, data layer or business partner APIs.
- Architect, develop and drive improvements to our evolving backend infrastructure.
- Implement product features that have a direct impact on user engagement and monetization.
What you’ll do
- Collaboratively design and develop product features in our scalable backend
- Work across functional teams to understand and solve the pain points of our members
- Develop thoroughly tested code, automate all the things
- Uphold high technical standards, and proactively improve reliability and scalability
- Participate in code reviews and thoughtfully provide constructive feedback
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years developing scalable, production software
(we welcome your application for other roles if less experienced)
- Proven experience building APIs using Java (or Kotlin) and Spring Boot
- Strong SQL skills (PostgreSQL), including data architecture and performance engineering
- Strong unit and integration test habits
- Experience using Git, pull requests, branching patterns, and CI/CD
- Enjoyment in learning and diving into the deepest levels of how things work
- Excellent communication skills
Additional useful strengths
- Experience with messaging architectures in Java, e.g. using AWS SNS, SQS
- Comfortable using AWS (or equivalent), and Terraform
- Familiarity with financial services, consumer finance, or fin-tech a plus
- Familiarity with third-party providers for payments, product servicing, decisioning, and systems of record a plus
What we offer
- Competitive compensation package and stock option grants
- 401(k), medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Generous, flexible vacation + take care of yourself days
- Flexible, remote work environment
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join a Fintech team on a mission to support renters with financial stability and progress
How to apply
Shoot us an email with your skills and the type of role you’re looking for — as well as your best or worst rental story. We look forward to hearing from you! firstname.lastname@example.org
Roost is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.